Do you remember that delicious, sweet cornbread from a box? Growing up, my mom would make that cornbread once in a while, and I loved it. More often than not, we had homemade cornbread from a cast iron skillet. That was yummy too, but the sweet cornbread always was my favorite.
I used to buy the boxed mix, but I decided to try my hand at making it from scratch. I’ve tried a few times in the past, but I could never get it quite right. Well, I’m happy to tell you that this recipe is spot on. And if you keep a few staple ingredients in the house, you can have this sweet cornbread any night of the week.
This is a recipe that takes me back to my childhood. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (I use yellow cornmeal)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 inch cake pan or 8 inch square baking pan.
- Combine the egg, oil, and milk. Stir in the corn kernels
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder. Add it to the wet mixture and stir gently.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.