I don’t think there is anything better than garlic cheese bread. My family could eat this bread as a meal. This bread is made with whole, non-processed ingredients. I start by making the bread from scratch. I’ll be posting that recipe soon, but let me tell you this– homemade bread makes this so much better. But fear not, fresh french bread from the store works wonderfully too. I’ve even made this with leftover hot dog buns in a pinch.
This recipe calls for real butter and garlic. Don’t be afraid of using the garlic when making this for children. The flavor is very,very mild. Also, unlike many other garlic cheese bread recipes, this one uses no mayonnaise. I’m just not a fan. And, I really don’t think anything is missing by leaving it out. We eat this with soup, spaghetti, and just about everything else!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 loaf of french bread or homemade bread of your choice
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 teaspoons dry parsley
- Slice the bread to your desired thickness
- In a small sauce pot, melt the butter with the garlic cloves. Let it cook for about three minutes.
- Remove the garlic from the butter and add the dry parsley
- In a separate bowl, combine the cheeses
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter on each slice of bread
- Lay the slices of bread in a baking dish. Top the bread with the cheese mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese browns a bit.