Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookie Bars
I don’t know a single child who does not love peanut butter and jelly. My kids would live on it if I allowed them. It would be a bad day around here if we ran out of peanut butter. I saw this recipe years ago for peanut butter and jelly cookie bars by Ina Garten, who I LOVE. I watch her show all the time…or when my kids are quiet enough.
When I first saw her make this recipe, I didn’t have children. I thought they looked yummy, though I never made them just for my husband and me. One day years later, when I caught this recipe on a re-run, I decided I would try them out for my then three year old son. I made a couple changes, but they were still incredibly delicious. He gobbled these cookie bars up faster than I could imagine. Now, all of my kids love these. I find myself making them quite often. They make a really yummy after-school snack, or a treat after dinner. And, mom’s love them too!
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of your favorite jelly or jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 8×8 baking pan
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, and peanut butter and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Press 2/3 of the batter into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the jam on top of the batter.
- Take the rest of the batter and drop small pieces of it on top of the jam.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.