It has finally cooled off a bit in our neck of the woods– it was in the 40’s this morning. This is the most beautiful time of the year in my opinion. The leaves are falling, the sun is shining, and there is a light, cool breeze in the air that just awakens my spirit like nothing else.
On this beautiful morning, I decided we needed a little something more substantial and hearty for breakfast other than the normal muffins, eggs, or cold cereal. I decided to make a big pot of oatmeal.
We have oatmeal for breakfast all the time, but I decided to jazz it up. I love the idea of combining foods to make new foods. So today, I combined oatmeal with blueberry muffins. Blueberry muffin oatmeal was born!
This recipe is easy, delicious, and quite healthy. It has all the flavors of blueberry muffins without having to bake them. This was a huge hit with the kiddos!
Here’s what you do:
- 2 cups oats– I use either quick-cooking or old fashioned. Steel cut would work nicely too.
- 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flax meal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries–fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook your oats according to the instructions on the box. I like to make mine a bit soupier than normal for this because I like the flavors to cook together a bit longer, and the extra water eventually cooks out, leaving good flavor behind.
- Cook your oats to your favorite consistency.
- Add the sugar, flax, and cinnamon. Cook for at least five minutes.
- Add the butter and the blueberries. The blueberries will begin to break down quite quickly.
- Remove from the heat and stir. Let it cool a bit before serving.